Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing. For
“Whoever desires to love life
and see good days,
let him keep his tongue from evil
and his lips from speaking deceit;
let him turn away from evil and do good;
let him seek peace and pursue it.
For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
and his ears are open to their prayer.
But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”
Comment: Peter has in the preceding portions talked about dealing with authority, how families are to be based, and now deals with interpersonal attitudes. It is basic but oh so, so important. Be….
- united in thinking as Christians,
- loving. Have God type agape love for each other,
- tender hearted (this must not be interpreted as mushy.)
- different. Repay evil with blessing!
- mindful. God is watching! Watch your own mouth and heart and be righteous!
Prayer: What a blessing it would be, our Father, if we lived this out to the full. Please, by Your Spirit, help us.