But if, in our endeavour to be justified in Christ, we too were found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not! For if I rebuild what I tore down, I prove myself to be a transgressor. For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.
Comment: In this short passage Paul deals with the problem of the believer who after coming to Christ sins again – and we all do. Not in this order but I find these facts imbedded in Paul’s passage and which allow us to be content in our standing before God. Mind you throughout the Bible we clearly understand that the believer is not to revel in their sin, nor are they to deny their failures.
- Most certainly if I sin it is not Christ who is doing the sinning. is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not!
- The believer’s life is covered by the the perfection of Christ. (In the sight of God) It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me, and for His sake God forgives me.
- If a believer sins, forgiveness has already been obtained by Christ on the Cross. I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
- My sin does not destroy the gracious gift of God’s saving act which is the basis of my being accepted by Him. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.
- Salvation is by Grace never by works. if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.
Prayer: Help me to avoid sinning like the plague, but to revel in Your gracious act of forgiveness and the New Life.
One thought on “Galatians 2: 17-21….What if I still sin?”
Thank you Barry for your comments on this passage. It brought to my mind the first two verses of Romans chapter 8. “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.” Verses 3 and 4 are also applicable. God bless you.
LikeLiked by 1 person