See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him.
Comment: There are ‘always’ people who want to improve the perfect! But by their trying they end up messing things up. Paul tells them to beware of philosophers, traditionalists, super spiritual types or any one who tries to polish-up, that is improve, God’s perfectly proved answer for sinners’ needs. Compared to the emptiness the above provide, in Christ (the Messiah any truly the God-Man) we have …..
- enough to fill us with all that we need to be right with God, because He is the real authority and He says it to be true.
- been inwardly circumcised (of the heart) as is spoken about in the Old Testament. That is not the cutting off of a bit of skin, but removing the things which enslave us to evil.
- We have by the actions of Christ in his circumcision, his baptism, his death and resurrection been made alive to God!
- His body nailed to the Cross is metaphorically but truly God’s statement for all to see that all legal requirements against us, for our sinning, have been met and we are forgiven!
- The enemies of God and His followers may shout all they like, but the triumphant victory is Christ’s!
Prayer: Truly I stand amazed in the Presence of Jesus the Nazarene!
One thought on “Colossians 2: 8-15…..Packed full of life-changing truth.”
Thank you Barry for your comments on this passage. Even today, we Christians must stand on the Word of God, and not allow Philosophies of man and traditions of man to dominate our lives. We must go “back to the Bible” for all of our decisions which we make, so that we are not let astray. God bless you.