Oh, how abundant is your goodness,
which you have stored up for those who fear you
and worked for those who take refuge in you,
in the sight of the children of mankind!
In the cover of your presence you hide them
from the plots of men;
you store them in your shelter
from the strife of tongues.
Blessed be the LORD,
for he has wondrously shown his steadfast love to me
when I was in a besieged city.
I had said in my alarm,
“I am cut off from your sight.”
But you heard the voice of my pleas for mercy
when I cried to you for help.
Love the LORD, all you his saints!
The LORD preserves the faithful
but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride.
Be strong, and let your heart take courage,
all you who wait for the LORD!
Comment: This is not a creed or catechism. Our Minister is going through them at the moment – which I find very profitable! But it is a statement of David’s fundamental beliefs about God.
- God has a storehouse of goodness for those who ‘fear’ Him. Remember fear is a good word when used here containing a lot of awe and reverence.
- There is personal protection for the one who trusts from the plotting and slandering of the opposition.
- David has personally experienced an episode of this when trapped, besieged and he was delivered when he cried out to God.
- God looks after His own but knows how to deal with the proud-filled rebellious ones.
- “Keep your pecker up’, God will come’, he says.
Prayer: Help me to know and act out what I believe.
One thought on “Psalm 31: 19-24…. A statement of belief!”
Thank you Barry for your comments on this Psalm. God is good, everything He does is good, and when we fear Him, and reverence Him, and do His will, He will be with us and protect us. God bless you.