1. Whoever isolates himself seeks his own desire;
he breaks out against all sound judgment.
2. A fool takes no pleasure in understanding,
but only in expressing his opinion.
3. When wickedness comes, contempt comes also,
and with dishonour comes disgrace.
4. The words of a man’s mouth are deep waters;
the fountain of wisdom is a bubbling brook.
5. It is not good to be partial to the wicked
or to deprive the righteous of justice.
6. A fool’s lips walk into a fight,
and his mouth invites a beating.
7. A fool’s mouth is his ruin,
and his lips are a snare to his soul.
8. The words of a whisperer are like delicious morsels;
they go down into the inner parts of the body.
9. Whoever is slack in his work
is a brother to him who destroys.
10. The name of the LORD is a strong tower;
the righteous man runs into it and is safe.
11. A rich man’s wealth is his strong city,
and like a high wall in his imagination.
12. Before destruction a man’s heart is haughty,
but humility comes before honour.
Comment: You know how much time that you have to spend looking at this group of couplets, but there is much to learn from them. Following on from yesterday I again choose 3 about fools and a fourth that really catches my attention.
- 2. A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. Today in these 3 comments about fools we have a list of things which the wise avoid. In the first you are self-centred and, instead of loving learning only want to express your own opinion.
- 6. A fool’s lips walk into a fight, and his mouth invites a beating. Being brazen and self-confident, instead of trying to live at peace with all men as far as is possible, the fool backs up his foolish words with bravado and starts a fight. Only to suffer a beating!
- 7. A fool’s mouth is his ruin, and his lips are a snare to his soul. The fool’s words display his stupidity but further more he can easily fall into the trap of selling his soul to the devil. He lacks discernment and can easily fall into bad ways
- 9. Whoever is slack in his work is a brother to him who destroys. How true! There is more to life than work – true. But laziness is the brother of failure!
Prayer: As it says in Psalms, your word is a light upon my path. Help me to walk in its light.