Introduction: As you read through these verses there are things to love and things to avoid. See if you agree as you read it through. Thus today is not just a devotional thought but a challenge to search the 14 proverbs listed for the following.
1. He who is often reproved, yet stiffens his neck,
will suddenly be broken beyond healing.
2.When the righteous increase, the people rejoice,
but when the wicked rule, the people groan.
3. He who loves wisdom makes his father glad,
but a companion of prostitutes squanders his wealth.
4. By justice a king builds up the land,
but he who exacts gifts tears it down.
5. A man who flatters his neighbour
spreads a net for his feet.
6. An evil man is ensnared in his transgression,
but a righteous man sings and rejoices.
7. A righteous man knows the rights of the poor;
a wicked man does not understand such knowledge.
8. Scoffers set a city aflame,
but the wise turn away wrath.
9. If a wise man has an argument with a fool,
the fool only rages and laughs, and there is no quiet.
10. Bloodthirsty men hate one who is blameless
and seek the life of the upright.
11. A fool gives full vent to his spirit,
but a wise man quietly holds it back.
12. If a ruler listens to falsehood,
all his officials will be wicked.
13. The poor man and the oppressor meet together;
the LORD gives light to the eyes of both.
14. If a king faithfully judges the poor,
his throne will be established forever.
Comment: Things to love: righteousness. wisdom, justice, faithful judgement. A wise person is listed as
- making their parents’ hearts glad. Who wants a fool for a child, even if you go on loving them?
- Learns not to argue with fools.
- Holds onto his feelings and does not vent them.
Things to avoid: failing to listen to reproof; avoid extramarital sexual activity; flattery; sin; scoffing; bloodthirstiness (?hate); listening to false information (?gossip). Several of these are mentioned in more than one place.
Prayer: Lord I don’t want to be a prig but I do want to be good in Your eyes. Please help me to listen to your word.