Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, and of instruction about washings, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. And this we will do if God permits. For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt. For land that has drunk the rain that often falls on it, and produces a crop useful to those for whose sake it is cultivated, receives a blessing from God. But if it bears thorns and thistles, it is worthless and near to being cursed, and its end is to be burned.
Comment: Elementary doctrines are the foundation of Christianity as they are what gets our relationship with Jesus well founded. Here are listed; repentance, faith, baptism, laying on of hands, resurrection and eternal judgement. The author says that this is the foundation and we should build on it into maturity.
‘As I read it’ is the name of this devotional series and while recognising that many try to explain away the simple reading of this passage I must therefore tell you what this reads like to me. Remembering of course the whole Bible is the context of any passage.
- With God’s help we can go further in our faith than just having a basic foundation.
- There is a fearful consequence to falling away from a real relationship with Jesus once we have truly started, that is having truly been enlightened.
- Doing such a thing the author states is like re-crucifying Christ, and holding Him in contempt.
- Having done this restoration to repentance is impossible.
- His example is that if a well prepared field keeps producing thorns and thistles the field will be burnt. I note that while he says it is worthless, he says it is near to being cursed.
It will be interesting to see what he says next.
Prayer: Certainly I don’t want to fall away from the truth that You have revealed to me, O Lord. Hold me fast, please.