Please forgive the trespass of your servant. For the LORD will certainly make my lord a sure house, because my lord is fighting the battles of the LORD, and evil shall not be found in you so long as you live. If men rise up to pursue you and to seek your life, the life of my lord shall be bound in the bundle of the living in the care of the LORD your God. And the lives of your enemies he shall sling out as from the hollow of a sling. And when the LORD has done to my lord according to all the good that he has spoken concerning you and has appointed you prince over Israel, my lord shall have no cause of grief or pangs of conscience for having shed blood without cause or for my lord working salvation himself. And when the LORD has dealt well with my lord, then remember your servant.”
Comment: Following her argument through makes one realize what a deep understanding she had of theological and political events involved in this meeting.
- She understands that God is going to establish David on the throne (house).
- David is fighting on God’s side and he is not on the side of evil.
- God will protect David and his life will be ‘in the bundle of the living’ when the struggle is over.
- David’s enemies will be thrown out as David threw the stone which conquered Goliath! – Thrown out as if from a sling!
- God is going to do all that He has promised to you.
- And you can have a clear conscience because you have avoided bloodguilt here! You’ve trusted God, rather than your own sword!
- Don’t forget me, please!
And that is all packed into these 4 verses of 1 Samuel!
Prayer: What a lot can hang on a single decision, Lord. Help me also to decide aright!
One thought on “1 Samuel 25: 28-31….A good lesson taught!”
Thank you for your comments, Barry. Abigail was very wise and astute in everything she said. She seemed to know the Lord God, and that David was destined to rule on the throne after King Saul. Also that she had a part to play in this particular situation. If she had sat back and done nothing about this, what a different outcome there would have been. We need to be wise in deciding when we should act for God, and when we should not. God bless you .