Proverbs 3: 1-12 (ESV)
My son, do not forget my teaching,
but let your heart keep my commandments,
for length of days and years of life
and peace they will add to you.
Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you;
bind them around your neck;
write them on the tablet of your heart.
So you will find favour and good success
in the sight of God and man.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.
Be not wise in your own eyes;
fear the LORD, and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your flesh
and refreshment to your bones.
Honour the LORD with your wealth
and with the first-fruits of all your produce;
then your barns will be filled with plenty,
and your vats will be bursting with wine.
My son, do not despise the LORD’S discipline
or be weary of his reproof,
for the LORD reproves him whom he loves,
as a father the son in whom he delights.
Here we have 6 sharp injunctions with the results. It lists principles and not overall blanket promises. For example it does not mean that you lose your humanity. Your years of long-life may be in Eternity. You may get an incurable illness and die, but God is not at the point of death deserting you! As we begin a New Year this is sound advice.
* Don’t forget, but rather act on, God’s teaching and you get length of days and peace. Sometimes peace in the midst of troubles!
* Be faithful and let steadfast love be your principle and you will find favour and success with both God and man.
* Trust God’s way and don’t think you’ve got all the answers in yourself. Then you will walk a good, straight way.
* You’ll be healthier in all levels of your life if you walk God’s way than follow all your own choices.
* It won’t make you poor by being rich towards God.
* Don’t fail to learn from God’s correcting you because it is done in His love for you.
Prayer: Lord, help me to count to six in right choices in the above. Please.