7. One who is full loathes honey,
but to one who is hungry everything bitter is sweet.
8. Like a bird that strays from its nest
is a man who strays from his home.
9. Oil and perfume make the heart glad,
and the sweetness of a friend comes from his earnest counsel.
10. Do not forsake your friend and your father’s friend,
and do not go to your brother’s house in the day of your calamity.
Better is a neighbour who is near
than a brother who is far away.
11. Be wise, my son, and make my heart glad,
that I may answer him who reproaches me.
12. The prudent sees danger and hides himself,
but the simple go on and suffer for it.
13. Take a man’s garment when he has put up security for a stranger,
and hold it in pledge when he puts up security for an adulteress.
14. Whoever blesses his neighbour with a loud voice,
rising early in the morning,
will be counted as cursing.
Comment: I am going to again list what I feel is the punch of each proverb.
- 7. Even if you are satisfied don’t forget what it is like to be without.
- 8. Home duties and responsibilities come before socialising.
- 9. You judge a perfume by its odour; judge a friend by his advice.
- 10. Brothers are blood relatives but a constant family friend with whom you have a close relationship is better than a blood brother at a distance.
- 11. Be so good in your living that when someone challenges your father about the his family’s failures, he can remind them of your performance. That is make your father justifiably proud of you.
- 12. Be discerning.
- 13. Be wise in getting involved in loans.
- 14. Don’t make unnecessary early morning phone calls.
Enjoy your day!
Prayer: Thank you for things I have learnt from my parents and my education, but teach me well, please. from Your Word.